Friday, August 8, 2008

Burnaby Narrows and Bruin

The strong currents that whip through Burnaby Narrows twice a day feed the astounding proliferation of life that is found there.  This is a rare and fragile ecosystem that supports the highest numbers of marine invertebrates recorded anywhere in the world.  The perfect way to experience this incredible place is in a kayak at low tide.  Oh yes, bears like it here too.  The Gwaii Haanas black bear is the largest of its kind in the world.... fortunately they are happily occupied chasing crabs for breakfast and don't seem to mind our gawking presence.

2 comments:

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Just want to tell you that I am a long-time follower of your blog. I've enjoyed see your artwork, and I am enjoying your trip photos! Figured it was about time I said "hi"!

robin peterson said...

Hey Craftymoose..... thanks for checking in! I'm having so much fun, glad you are enjoying it too. robin