Monday, July 14, 2014

Wrangelling the Narrows


It takes the better part of the afternoon to dry my gear after the SoWester in Ketchikan, then we arrive at the infamous Wrangell Narrows.  The ferry is the largest boat to negotiate this channel, effectively keeping large cruise ships away from Petersburg.  Between current, tide and wind it takes a skillful pilot and watchful crew.  We pass the Rocky Point fishing lodge and get a fireworks salute.  


Karisa picks me out of the handful of folks coming down the ramp, already advised about who I am since I had become notable for sketching while on the ferry.   Seems a little sad that sketching is noteworthy,  since it's such a great way to relax and pass the time.  You can see by my sketch that reading and photography were other popular pastimes.  


No comments: